Genesis Gray (or just Gen)
Gen is a nanomachine-based fusion-powered robot that despite extensive shapeshifting abilities generally takes on a mostly human form. She normally possess all the super human abilities one would expect from a robot such as increased speed, strength and durability. The nanomachines, in addition, make her a walking factory capable of molecular construction allowing her to self-repair, construct a large range of objects and shapeshift. That said her nanomachine based abilities are far from unrestricted even before you count the massive drag factor her mind adds onto them. Gen's mind is, unlike most such entities, mostly human so even though her brain isn't even organic it mimics a human one in enough detail to sometimes weakly register and react to psionic abilities. Her brain is however different enough to let her do certain tricks that either aren't possible for a human or would require extensive neural implants.
Gen is usually an inquisitive, carefree, playful and well meaning if unpredictable and slightly mischievous person. There is however little to drive her usually except personal amusement, oddly defined at times but usually constrained by empathy and logic. It is rare for a situation to deeply affect her but at times she does becomes somewhat serious or more likely pointlessly philosophical. She is fairly intelligent and knowledgeably in certain fields but again she rarely has much desire to apply any of it. She could probably be very powerful if she actually cared enough or had the attention span to use even a fraction of her abilities but so far that hasn't happened and likely never will. This is in fact a design feature not a flaw that her creators were quite careful to build into her to prevent large scale "accidents."
In most ways in her early 20s.
none/any, mentally and in appearance mostly female
Species/Race (human, furry type, robot, alien, etc.):
Android/robot, appears and acts mostly human. The most obvious physical difference are eight black "wings" or "fins" on her back that act as radiators. They are capable of a wide range of motion but are kept pointed down and flush against her back if not needed (ie: 'closed').
Lean and slightly muscular, not that itís very visible through her usual loose clothing. Weights roughly 300lbs due to her less than human composition.
Coloration (skin, scales, fur, feathers, hair, etc.):
Gen's face and hands appear human, if slightly tanned, while the skin beneath her clothes (not visible except through her sleeve or around her collar if one pays attention) has a silver-gray metallic composition with a rough texture. Her hair is just past shoulder length with a silver-gray-purple color that seems to slowly shift over time.
Clothing / Armor:
Gen's normal clothes are an extension of her and thus connected to her skin. They normally consist of a dark gray thigh length coat or jacket, slightly oversized color changing shirt, white to light-gray pants and shoes of the same color. Her shirt, unless otherwise noted, has a periodically changing yellow Rorschach inkblot design on a black background. If one looks closely at her clothes they'd notice a total lack details such as zippers, seams, buttons and so on.
- Mind/Aura: Gen's mind and aura may appear to some as vaguely alive; faintly and in a nonhuman way but unmistakably not just those of a machine. To others on the other hand she's no different from a toaster in the mental plane. Nonetheless even for the former a great deal of effort or ability would be required to read or alter her mind in any organized fashion.
- IR/Neutrino visible: Between her skin/clothes temperature of 105 to 115F and her wing temperatures of 120F to 400F she lights up the IR rather nicely. For the sake of being pedantic and slightly more scientifically accurate the fusion reactor she's powered off of emits neutrinos.
Accessories (weapons, jewelry, tools, magic items, vehicles, etc.):
None usually, save for her own body which can make various things on demand
Abilities & Power Level:
- Physical: Gen is superhuman in most physical respects including strength, speed, toughness, reaction time, eyesight and hearing. These are the usual limits but she can go higher if given time to prepare and modify herself appropriately.
- Strong: Can lift around 400lbs normally.
- Fast: Top speed is 40mph sustained and 55mph for short bursts.
- Fast Reactions: Reaction time/movements two to eight times that of a human, depending on the action (simpler and planned actions are faster).
- Tough: Gen is hard to put down, a combination of redundancy and general damage resistance. It'd take an unnaturally sharp blade or high powered rifle to do real damage although "lucky" hits from lesser weapons can be equally damaging.
- Senses: Weak sense of smell and taste, good eyesight from ultraviolet to infrared (usually limited to just the visible spectrum), good hearing and can communicate through radio waves.
- Molecular Factory: Gen is walking talking nanomachine powered factory and while she can't make everything she can still make quite a bit. This also gives her potent shapeshifting and "healing" abilities.
- Shapeshifting: She can rebuild herself into nearly anything of the same general design (if not shape) as her normal form and some things that don't fit that description. Then again she has no reason to so she mostly stays herself and the various ability descriptions assume she is in that form.
- Regeneration: While fast and powerful by human standards her automatic repair systems are far from perfect and in some ways quite inferior to their biological counterparts. If worst comes to worst any sizable chunks of her can and will grow into duplicates unless stopped.
- Construct: Given time and the proper mix of base elements she can make anything that's in her internal library of patterns...and not much else. That's not to say that she knows what most of those patterns are supposed to be although at least some of her AIs appear to at times. Some of the less esoteric things are:
- Internal systems: All the stuff that makes up Gen or can make up Gen, including electrical circuits of most sorts.
- Everyday substances: For sake of sanity, anything that one could envision in a house in the near future (common medicine, plastics, organic substances, ceramics, etc.).
- Interesting substances: Things like nanotubes, impact hardening armor, odd fabric (heat resistant, extra strong, color changing, self-cleaning), super-strong alloys/ceramics, super-conductors and a few others probably.
- Weapons: Look down a few bullet points
- Copies:Gen is somewhat of a hive mind made up of identical copies of herself with mostly the same memories and personality. She can and does grow exact copies of herself, and copies can sync up their memories with each other. She considers all these copies to be herself and as such doesn't much mind if a particular copy is destroyed unless it has some good unique memories it hasn't shared yet. Gen tries to avoid having too many copies about and the copies seem to mostly avoid each other.
- Mental: Gen isn't quite an AI but she does have some in her head among other tricks. The vast potential of these improvements is mostly lost on Gen as she plain doesn't care enough to figure it out although to her credit the system is such an abysmal mess that figuring it out would be no small task.
- Helper System: Gen's subconscious is a collection of AIs held together with the digital equivalent of bondo and duct tape which while not self-aware is nonetheless quite complex and capable.
- Fast thinking: Literally, as in her brain can run at roughly twice normal speed.
- Malleable Reality: Gen has full control over what her senses perceive so to her the world is a TIVO that she can pause it, speed it up, slow it down, replay and so on. Unfortunately actual reality doesn't follow suit with her munging about with it so she is liable to react oddly at times, for example replying to something someone said 10 minutes ago as if they just said it.
- Weapons: Normally she doesn't have any weapons on her or in her but given time she can make almost any "near future" weapon, assuming she actually manages to find where in her head the plans for it are and doesn't find something better to do before it finishes building.
- I'm a weapon: Various sharp or otherwise deadly bits added onto body parts.
- Boom: Handguns, bullets, explosives and all such things that go boom.
- Exotic: Tasers, lasers, masers, plasma weapons, mini-fusion bombs and so on.
- Poison: Can make around a hundred poisons which either kill or incapacitate humans and biologically similar creatures. These include nuerotoxins, drugs that stop the heart, tranquilizers, etc.
- Nanites: Take things apart at a molecular level but Gen is very weary of using them, especially the more powerful ones. She has a decent collection of them for different scenarios (ie: eat metal, organics, etc.) but most are locked down with safety measures proportional to how destructive they are but given time those can be removed. They are by design limited to keep them from becoming a large scale problem (ie: they probably won't consume a planet).
Skills and Knowledge:
- Physicist, Chemist, Electrical Engineer and Computer Scientist: Gen needs to know quite a bit of all of these to keep her body running but at the same time her knowledge is somewhat incomplete save for what is related to her body (ie: no astronomy, organic specific chemistry, etc.). She was never, even as a human, what one would call studious or a genius so she isn't used to thinking like a scientist or engineer. So while she is quite competent at what she knows its still mostly just grafted on information that she has never learned to properly use. As such not only does she lack various training one could normally expect for someone with such knowledge but she also isn't likely to use most of it unless it's obviously needed or asked for.
- Martial Arts: The sort that your parents make you take as a kid which even as a human she wasn't all that great at. So she knows how to punch and kick properly and move somewhat gracefully but that's about it.
- Critters: Gen can create a variety of small to medium sized robots that usually resemble animals albeit with less intelligence. She usually has a small collection of them on her or can very quickly build some using her own excess parts.
- Mental/Personality Weaknesses:
- Impulsive: A bit of being naive, a bit of just not caring enough to consider things deeply and a bit of simply finding doing things this way to be more amusing.
- Fearless: Gen simply doesn't mind getting seriously injured or killed, it's annoying to her but then again so are many other things.
- Not a fighter: Well she's not, so many of her combat abilities are last minute additions.
- Physical Weaknesses
- Cooling fins/wings: Without them or if they're damaged her potential level of activity drops dramatically.
- EMP: While an EMP wonít kill her it will disable her for a considerable period of time.
- Radiation: Complicated (read: I don't want to think about how this should logically work in detail for all situations), in general the effects are worse than for a human.
- Magic, psionics, etc: Has no resistance to any such non-technological things, not counting any inherent from her being inorganic, a robot and so on.
Occupation / Class:
Description of Personality:
[NOTE: I'm really bad at describing personalities, consider this a work in progress or something.]
Genesis is in two words unpredictable and ambivalent, she does whatever seems amusing to her at the time and rarely considers or cares about the long term repercussions. That's not to say she can't or doesn't, on some level, understand consequences but rather that usually she just ignores them unless others protest enough or seem to be in actual danger. In general she's scatter brained, curious, playful and carefree if a bit mischievous but even then her actions lack a hard edge of seriousness. She has a sense of empathy so she tries to be nice and helpful but won't go against someone's wishes to help them. That is unless she is exceptionally bored in which case all bets are of but thankfully she has a low threshold for "interesting." It takes a larger than normal effect for her to react emotionally to events and even her definition of amusing follows this, being closer to "odd" or "interesting" than "fun". Gen is absurdly accepting of and adaptive to people and situations but just because she goes along with something doesn't mean she accepts it as true. There is also a strong streak of logic in her personality, puzzles and pointless intellectual debates amuse her greatly.
While she mostly acts and thinks like a human, Gen does see things from a slightly different perspective. The concepts of death and serious injury for example lack weight to her as at worst one of the backups scattered about would replace her. Likewise she has essentially no need for sleep, food, drink or shelter so she sometimes forgets that others do need such things.
There once lived a certain human named Jennifer on a world very much like Earth if some decades in the future and quite a bit more dystopian. She was a rebel and punk of sorts who had the unfortunate luck of ending up in an research facility where her mind was copied. It was a detailed and intricate copy, one that required non-reversible deconstruction of her brain so she was thoroughly if not happily dead by then (not that it matters much).
Some time later a gray goo, uncontrollable all devouring nanomachines, swallowed a quarter of the planet and irreparably damaged the rest before an AI subverted the quickly evolving entity. The AI now had a mind that stretched across continents but one that it could barely control due to the limitations of its original design. It made children and mimicries of the organic life it had "grown up" surrounded by, then destroyed itself for fear of losing control if left alive. One of those children was Gen who was based on a human mind copy that was found in the ruins of an old research institute. It was modified and upgraded for a variety of reasons, some of which were never quite figured out, so the final product was far from the template it was based on. Despite being the only non-AI among the children and being the closest thing to human left alive Gen didn't seem to have problems adjusting in her own way and founds ways to occupy time.
It was many years after her rebirth that her AI "siblings" found a dimensional kink with which they could send small amounts of matter through to random dimensions. The android jumped upon the opportunity and was promptly copied, compressed and sent to explore what was on the other side. Many copies were sent out into the multiverse and one of them landed in the dream.
A brief and character revealing answer to the question, "What is your ambition?"
"Why to kill all living creatures for my robotic masters of course" the android says with a look of cold seriousness in her eyes. She remains so for a few seconds before breaking into a wide grin and giggling uncontrollably but says no more on the subject.