|(TOP)||At a glance: Doctor Kaylo B Epsilon|
32 on current incarnation
Distance-runner athletic. Thin, a bit of ribs showing, with smooth (not chunkily) muscled legs. Large feet, slightly large head.
Head usually shaven. Beard rare these days. All hair, when it's around, is light brown.
Steel blue fading to grey around the iris
'Technomage', originally from a Whitewolf setting. Mathematician (focus on topology). Entertainer. Preferably all of the above at once.
- Constant: Anosmic (no sense of smell) from childhood injury.
- Constant: Significant mental defenses. However, unless otherwise stated, italicized Surface thoughts are easily accesed telepathically, while non-italicized descriptions of thought are for OOC information only.
- Habitually: Maintains a 'silver skin' of space folded 180 degrees back on itself between skin and clothing (and thinks it looks particularly slick under the fishnet shirt) which is generally sufficient to ward off injury when, say, juggling knives and slipping.
- While Skinned: There is a double delay time between something attempting to change his position and any effect. The first part is time it takes for him to notice the attempt (usually quick unless surprised) while the second delay stems from the time to understand the intended direction and move the silver foldspace appropriately.
- Occasional: 10 'magical perceptions', which are generally left 'off' due to quality of life considerations and to avoid becoming too dependant on them, and it is seldom that all are turned on at once. Roughly, they are perception of life forces, physical-matter reality/x-ray vision (divorced from spatial relations), spatial relations (divorced from physical reality), physical forces, spirit/aura sight, sentience&truth detection, magic sense, perception of entropy, sensitivity to time, and a connection to the fact that he's a fictional character.
- Telepathy, outbound: Can send general-broadcast, single (previously identified) recipient, multiple (previously identified) recipient, and local (anyone within a defined region). Telepathy is -not- of the overpowering variety that is heard in a mind not equipped to recieve. Unless otherwise noted, the sender (Kaylo) can be easily identified by characteristic markers (header info) in the message, as well as ignored. Think of it like email. Also works with suitably equipped machines.
- Telepathy, inbound: Receptive to telepathic messages, but aditional content (mental domination, information probes, reading attempts) are by default logged and blocked. The main exception to this is information which is guest-level accessible, which notably includes surface thoughts (Given in italics) unless otherwise specified.
- For WanderingTan cargo shorts, lots of pockets and a few rings and straps. Black leather vest. White ankle-socks, grey running shoes. Large sunglasses (Yellow Oakley M-frames, slightly reflective lenses.) Large patchwork hooded cloak, made of a grab-bag of upholstery fabric, with a silk yellow inner lining and a simple gold-cord 'frog' clasp at the neck.
- For EntertainingTight black long-sleeve fishnet shirt over a t-short with a line across the chest and the words "You must be this short to ride the Dragon" below, and a chinese style dragon above the line. Puffy blue pants (appropriate for bellydancing- elastic at ankles and waist, lots of
room to move legs around in), heavy stompin' Doc Martins.
- For BusinessSolid, primary-color polo shirt (or black, white, or grey). Khaki slacks, straight brown leather belt. Hiking boots. Small, almost-rectangular lensed reading glasses.
|(TOP)||Skills, Powers, Weaknesses|
Amateur juggler. Strong runner. Swims like a rock. Moderate musical talent. Skilled researcher.
Extensive mathematics and physics. Moderate computer science, specialized around artificial life. Broad (but shallow) handyman inclinations. Fluent in English, passable in Russian and French, mediocre in Latin and Hebrew. Moderate familiarity with major roleplaying systems, computer games, Hard Science Fiction authors. General outdoor/survival knowledge.
Novice Capoeirista. 'Master' of 'Rabid Mongoose Style' (aka Slamdancing aka Flailing stupidly and getting lucky surprise hits due to randomly lashing out at a spot that's not defended because you'd have to be an idiot to attack it.) Expert at running away. Really, any combat prowess is currently an artifact of intelligent manipulation of time and space.
Mageish skills & power levels:
(Summary, click link for details)
Specialty in manipulating space. Strong at time and self-centered mind effects. Decent at 'raw-magical-force' work, not quite as good at 'matter' and 'force' types of 'applied-magical-force' work. Amateur at matters of the spirit, mediocre in dealing with entropic forces, and basically just above non-magical with the forces of raw life. Recently (just before entering MZDM) became strong in reality tunnel busting/transcendant solipsism/applied insanity.
Weaknesses (PM for elaboration)
- Emotions: While cognitively, Kaylo is generally well armored, emotionally he is neither well shielded nor skilled. Telepaths are not much of a worry, empaths are.
- Anti-magic: Since so many of Kaylo's abilities are supernatural, or rely on supernatural abilities, this can be a serious issue when it applies. Generic anti-magic often doesn't work well, since Kaylo's magic is almost equivalently technological, but I've seen some Avatars mucking about with anti-magics which could be catastrophic for Kaylo
- Insanity: Meta-game and die. The expansion of Kaylo's mind came at the cost of both insanity and attunement to the insanity of others. His own is now mostly reigned in, though exposure to some avatars like Fault can cause reversion. Any sufficiently insane (and not just silly-insane) character may be randomly treated as a voice in Kaylo's head. Please PM if you want to do anything with this, if done right it can be drastic fun!
- Physical: Not a huge one, but not having a sense of smell can be a problem. If your character has conversed with Kaylo on good terms for long enough to be an 'acquiantance', you may assume your character knows about this. Kaylo tends to mention it.
- Overconfident: Since he feels he has access to a near-unbeatable defense, Kaylo is prone to be less cautious than he otherwise would be and leap to people's defense... or at least offer his help.
- Dependant: If deprived of his self-protective abilities, Kaylo doesn't have much to fall back on, and so even if not in a dangerous situation he will tend toward excessive caution.
- (Second hand) Pride: Hearing anyone talked down to (when he feels it is not appropriate) arouses his hostility and motivates him to bring the condescender down a peg. Resisting this impulse usually requires a good deal of restraint, especially due to overconfidence. Generally a response will manifest verbally (making a situation worse), occasionally it can lead to physical altercation (such as a currently standing challenge against Censhin)
|(TOP)||Personality, History, Ambition|
Kaylo is, at heart, self-centered. A pragmatic-logical 'INTJ' (Myers Briggs) personality type, though, he has decided that the best way to make his life easier is if everyone else is on his side, rather than alienated, so his external behavior tends to be friendly, helpful, conscientious, and non-confrontational. He has strong opinions, but tends to only express them to like-minded friends or close friends who he trusts to think and discuss, rather than react. He loves mathematics, and tends to see perhaps too much from a mathematician's clearly-stated, self-consistant viewpoint, but is easily captivated by interesting patterns, be they explicitly mathematical or not (because, of course, all patterns are intrinsically mathematical...) He prides himself on having inexhaustible patience and being particularly self-aware, and only tends to become particularly dispirited when he fails in either of these traits.
Born 'Caleb Small', Kaylo B began as a baby, born to mother and father... oh... wait... brief. Right.
Kaylo grew up in a very happy, supportive home, and has managed to avoid being exposed to many of the darker aspects of this mortal coil. His soul has been around a while, and it's magical nature manifested in conjunction with his exploration and attempts to visualize the mathematical structures he found fascinating. His spatial magic, in particular, is closely tied to his understanding of mathematical spaces. He zipped through college, plodded through graduate school, and emerged with a Ph.D and some unusual methods of applying his topological research. During that time, he had some run-ins with Malkavians (forgive the twisted history, the character has been played through ever changing RP systems!) which left him a bit mentally disoriented from time to time, but generally alright and with a putative friend known as 'Mike'.
While trying to mix things he understood about space with things he *cough* should have known better than to mess with *cough* didn't really understand about reality, he managed to transport himself into a land known as 'Shangrila' where, to make a long story short, he ran into denizens of more RP systems than he or I knew existed, made friends and enemies, fell in love with a Faerie, proceeded to have twins, got tracked down and driven partially insane (or driven partially sane) by the aforementioned 'Mike', and tried to get a short-lived career as an entertainer off the ground.
He's thoroughly unclear on how, exactly, he ended up in the Dream, if he is there at all (of which he's also unclear), but if asked would guess that between a second attempt to combine space-magic and stuff he -still- didn't understand, 'Mike's induced insanity, and some hellaciously trippy smokes he partook of despite his lovers' insistance that he not sample her stash... between all those, it can't be too surprising that -something- weird ended up happening.
Affiliations and references
Written History not linked above
Ambition (short version in blue)
The universe says, "Kaylo, what is your ambition?"
Kaylo replies, "Well, I wanted to be a professor, but you flushed that down the tubes."
The universe says, "No, you did. What is your abition now?"
Kaylo replies, "I want to teach. I want to learn. I want to live a life I can find joy in, a life with pain and triumph, with some beauty here and there. I want to live truthfully to myself, and to find a love to whom I can equally truthfully give myself."
The universe says, "You have said little about what you wish to do."
Kaylo replies, "I don't worry about what I'll do. I am concerned with who I am, and who I will be. As the events of my life unfold, my ambition is to do those things which lead me to fulfilling myself. Go look for doctors, lawyers, and rulers of the world elsewhere. I want to take what is given to me, and make it into Kaylo."
The universe says, "But... Money? Wealth? Power? Fame? Treasures?"
Kaylo replies, "No. Just 'me'" and walks off.
|(TOP)||De Big Egyptian River|