Full name: Kenderaff'lon(usually abbreviated to Kender), meaning "Shade-in-the-Sun". Born Andrew Miller, but has not used this name since becoming what he presently is.
Age: 20. Was a normal(if somewhat introverted) human up to the age of 17.
Race: Born human; presently, something referred to as a Dreamstalker. His chosen "natural state" has the overall form of an anthropomorphic mink, though with a tentacle like that of a displacer beast rising up from each shoulder, usually carried at rest, in which case they curve around, just reaching the level of the top of his head, then back down to mid-calf, for an overall length of 6.5'. The last half foot consists of a white bone spike, one edge of which is like a serrated knife, and with a sharp point. The tentacles have an overall flexibility like that of a cat's tail, but are much stronger.
Weight: 130 lb*
Build: Slender(sometimes extremely so)
Fur*: Black, save for white at the tip of his tail.
Tail: 3' long, slim, tapered to a point; the last half foot is pure white, while the rest is black.*
Clothing: Varies, depending on local customs and whatever form he happens to be in, but always black; most often, a pair of black shorts.
Accessories: Usually none.
Special effects: See below.
- Shadow-based: These are only active when he is standing in shadow or other darkness(night-time works, even with a full moon, though not under such intense light as a street lamp or even a torch). If the darkness is total, they are at their most effective and fastest.
- Form shift. He can assume any form of similar mass, so long as the colour scheme stays constant; he can also make himself clothes in this manner. The default form is as listed above with the *'s to denote that it is not constant. He more commonly goes as a normal black mink with a white tail-tip. Toxins and venoms are not within this ability's scope (though he can certainly mimic a poisonous being); movement abilities, provided they do not need magic to work, are gained.
- Shadow walking. Shrouded in shadow, he can disappear from one place and appear in another. If the shadow is just enough to shift, it's good enough to take him across a room. In full night or similar darkness, he can move to any similarly dark shadow within throwing range, even if actually throwing something there is impossible(e.g. a wall in the way). In utter darkness, as in deep caves and such, the range is that of most people's sight on a sunny day - effectively unlimited - but only if the shadow is unbroken between here and there; otherwise, it's the stone's throw again. He can also "blink" through shadow, trading precision for speed; a random blink can be done from any shadow that conceals him.
- Other: Not dependent on his being in shadow, these are always available.
- Active: These must be specifically directed.
- Shadow-play. He can shift nearby shadows to some degree. The more chaotic the shadows, the stronger the possible effect. In a deep forest, where shadows can be almost any shape, he can define those shapes; in the middle of a rigidly angular city, he might not be able to do anything at all.
- Dream-feeding. This is his sustenance; he draws a trickle of life force from a person's dreams. In a healthy person sleeping restfully, the energy he takes would usually be lost anyway. However, if the person awakens while he is feeding from them, the sudden increase in their energy needs sucks energy back out of him and he's left much worse than when he started.
- Dream-guiding. He can alter the flow of someone's dreams. In theory he could control them however he wished, but since he usually does this to keep a person soothed and sleeping restfully while he feeds, any drastic effect is avoided as it risks waking the person up.
- Passive: Always in operation.
- Psionic immunity. He cannot learn any psionics beyond those related to dreams, nor do psionics of any kind, even his own, affect his mind. (He is not, however, immune to such things as telekinesis - he can still be shoved around, just his mind can't be played with.)
- Disregard for light levels. He can see in pitch darkness and in blazing sunlight equally well, though not at the same time(if there is light on one side and shadow on the other, he picks which to see clearly in; the other is washed out and indistinct). He can't be flash-blinded.
- Phantasmal resistance. Related to his psionic immunity; that keeps anything from affecting his vision by tampering with his mind, while his peculiar vision makes it easy to discern solid objects from shades - and helps him see through illusions.
- Shadow attraction. Shadows will tend to shift a little closer to him, and obscure him more than is usual.
Magic: He is, while not inherently magical, born of powerful magic, and resists very strongly any attempt to change his nature, including the magical introduction of a poison into his blood(though poisoning a dart and shooting it at him will work); also, mind-affecting magics are subject to the same restrictions as nonmagical psionics. Apart from that, however, he has no special resistance to magic; he also has no aptitude for it whatsoever.
Other notes: He generally looks a bit ragged; clean, but not fully groomed. He is capable with natural weapons, though instinctive and untrained. Also, while most of his kind are nocturnal, he himself is active during the day, and his symbiosis is with nocturnal people who, therefore, sleep during the day; hence his name.
Ambition: "I want a place where I can settle down and be accepted, not met with distrust... and I want people, or at least one person, to be especially close to while I enjoy that place. Home and a mate, nothing special in wanting those..."