Updated (MM/DD/YY): 09/13/03
Name: Sharo Lyntami
Species: Vesper(tilioninae) Bat
Race: Frosted Bat (Vespertilio murinus)
Height: 6'3" (190.50 cm)
Weight: 75 lbs. (34.02 kg)
Build: Thin, almost to the point of fragility, but muscles are clearly visible in many places. Her 'wings' are broad gliding surfaces based off of two bone 'fingers' attached to each hand. On a related note, Sharo is polydactyl, with six digits on each hand and foot. For those bad with math, this means that she has three fingers and one opposable thumb on each hand to grab and manipulate items with. Also, her toes are elongated for better gripping. Lux-scars touch her arms and muzzle, glowing faintly enough to be discerned underneath her fur. Her chest is a modest size, smaller than average.
Fur color: Deep deep midnight blue, almost black. The very tips of her hairs are silver-white, giving her a slightly 'frosted' look.
Hair Color: jet black with white-frosted tips, cut short on top and allowed to grow long and into a 'mane' halfway down her back.
Eye color: Aquamarine
Clothing: A sleeveless vest of indigo-dyed suede, cut low in both front and back. Pants of the same material, but dyed a deep purple, come to mid-calf. A belt is worn between these items, holding flight pouches and a pair of slightly curved daggers. When working with metal, a heavy leather apron covers Sharo from neck to knees.
Occupation: Crafter and Follower of Nivea.
Affiliations: Ye Olde Smithe, owner. The Harp, patron. Both in downtown Semdria.
Accessories: Sharo carries various tools with her. Everything from screwdrivers, to hammers, to lockpicks, to less identifiable tools can be found on her person. For jewelry, a small aquamarine earring pierces near the tip of each ear, and a slim braided silver choker encircles her neck. Weaponry consists of the pair of curved daggers and various throwing stars sequestered out-of-sight about her person.
Deity: Nivea, God(dess) of the Night. Nivea is three-faced: male, female, and neuter. These represent the bright night of lovers, the dark night of thieves, and the half-lit night that cares for nobody. Nivea is typically referred to as female because she is praised more by thieves than lovers. Her sacred animal is the bat, and her sacred flower is the snowy orchid (Habenaria nivea). She has no organized clergy, her followers adhering to a sort of 'self-service' religion. There is only one major ban: respect the night. While this is not strictly enforced, Nivea -who takes an active role in the lives of her followers- is much less likely to intervene on behalf of somebody who doesn't follow this ban.
Faces of Nivea:
- Shining Lord - The male and full moon aspect of Nivea, He is the bright night of lovers, His silver moon protects those under it, shielding and shrouding them from families that would strike at them, those who would prey upon them, and sometimes even from themselves. The secrecy of Night allows these lovers to experiment and to discover what they want without anything holding them back, not even themselves. He allows the stammering and embarrassed boys of the world to finally take that plunge and express their love to their girls in the only way they know how. Likewise, it lends shy and reserved girls the courage to respond those same invitations. He may also grant silver words to His followers, giving them the skill with which to express their feelings and have them accepted, if not taken completely to heart.
- Twilight Watcher - The neuter and half moon aspect of Nivea. It is the Night bright enough for thugs and murderers to see their marks. It is the half-lit Night that neither illuminates nor shrouds, but blurs the edges enough to make just about anything possible. It is fear, pain, violence, suffering, death, destruction, burning, shattering, breaking, bleeding, running, panic, terror, and utter apathy. It is not subtle and It neither cares nor respects those who work under Its light. Its boons and curses are reserved for those of other Faces, to express Nivea's wrath for or against Its followers.
- Dark Mother - The female and no moon aspect of Nivea. She is the ebon cloak thrown over dark affairs and secrets. Her primary followers are thieves, spies, and other night-walkers, all of whom invoke Her care in keeping them unknown and unremembered. She has been known to suffuse Her followers with silence or stillness, as well as plucking the memories of their passing from enemy minds. Just as She can hide things, She might also reveal them, giving occasional glimpses at what is unseen and unknown. Every secret is meant to be revealed, in time, and She aids in such revelations.
Diet: Sharo is first insectivorous, then a fruit-eater, and a carnivore/blood-drinker when she gets truly desperate.
Abllities/Skills & Power Level: ((Green items are of note to any GMs))
Crafting: Crafting is a profession on Sharo's world that is part inherent, part magical, and part know-how. It involves the building, maintaining, and destruction of things. These things can be divinely enchanted, magically enchanted, plain old ordinary mechanical things, or any combination of the three.
- Fast, Agile, & Strong - Sharo is one of the faster members of her species, being able to out-run, -fly, and -swim most of them. She can twist and turn with the grace of a dancer, or a martial artist, and her reaction time is superb. With the hereditary strength necessary to power a humanoid being through the air having been honed by her many years as a Crafter, Sharo is fully capable of pitching a grown man across a room with little difficulty. She isn't the world's best brawler, but most people have the uncommon good sense to leave her alone after the first punch or three.
- Crafter Senses - Sharo builds, unbuilds, and rebuilds things for a living. It is her job to know/figure out how things work, how to take them apart, and how to put them back together. She is very good at her job. To help in this job, she has senses that are part inherent, part magic, and part know-how. She can reach out into an item with them and determine if it is working, what it is doing, and how it is doing it (within reason). This works for both magic and technology, and it is explained in greater detail below.
- Follower - Due to the 'self service' nature of Nivea's worship, Sharo is her own priestess. Add in the Goddess' meddling nature and you have a bat who can pray for minor miracles and, more often than not, have those prayers answered. Also, as Sharo has the equivalent of 'high priestess' status in her own religion, she can typically request very minor miracles from other Deities and, with enough flattery and cajoling, expect them to be granted.
- Swimming Rat - Sharo can swim, and quite well. It just isn't second nature to her and requires near-constant thought to pull it off. Otherwise, she just begins to flounder and thrash.
- Flyer - Sharo is a sentient flyer. This gives her an innate appreciation and understanding of three-dimensional physics. In addition, her body contains the biological equivalent of an altimeter. It works much better with large changes in altitude than small ones, but it will allow Sharo to instantly know if she is above or below where she used to be. As a flyer, she can carry approximately two hundred pounds with minimal strain. Her maximum load has been a straight glide carrying five hundred pounds.
Sharo sees no difference between magic and technology seeing them as one and the same. Of course, her mind separates magic into two categories: magic and divine power. The latter is granted by Deities and other such divine/infernal beings, while the former is just plain magic. While Sharo cannot actually tell the difference between these two 'types' of magic should she stumble across either one on her own, she has a definite aversion to the free-floating version of magic.
This occupation involves more than just senses, of course. Sharo can use her Crafting skills to enhance the tolerances and resiliency of many substances, including herself. She can manufacture small parts out of base materials (i.e. make gears out of iron ore or make enchantments out of raw mana), or modify and/or destroy material in a similar fashion. It's a fairly broad-based skill, limited mostly in sheer power.
Weaknesses: While Sharo does not have hollow bones, she is also not the sturdiest being in the world. Heavy blows will do damage to her, and especially if her bones are stressed in ways that they are not meant to be. She can only barely digest grains, and they are by no means a viable source of food for her. She suffers from mild claustrophobia, and enjoys a good drink a little too much. Lastly, while her ears are very good, her eyes aren't the best in the world, and the sensitivity of her aural organs only makes her susceptible to loud noises and such.
- Echolocation - Sharo can sent out ultrasonic pulses of sound to 'see' by, and this sense is actually superior to her sense of sight.
- Weather Sense - Like most airborne creatures, Sharo has an innate sense of the weather, often knowing that it will rain as much as half an hour before it actually does.
- Saliva - While meat and/or blood is the last thing on Sharo's menu, her body is adapted for it. Her saliva contains an anticoagulant, to keep blood flowing freely.
- Feet - Mayhap a product of evolution, mayhap not. Either way, Sharo's feet are prehensile, fully able to grasp objects. Manipulating them outside of flight is a little tricky, but not impossible. Additionally, her feet are like a hawk's in that they will tense when she 'relaxes' them, allowing her to hang onto something without fear of being separated from it.
- Regular Drinker - Sharo drinks like a fish. Nothing grain-based, but enough that she has a very high tolerance to alcohol, despite her otherwise low weight and high metabolism.
- Fight or... Fight? - Sharo's race has a very strong fighting instinct. If she is ever seriously threatened or injured greatly, she may snap and resort to instincts, usually resulting in bodily harm to those nearby, while the vesper enters a fugue-like state.
Description of Personality: Sharo is what you might call a 'free spirit'. Additionally, you might also call her a 'royal bitch'. She is the kind of person who works a full day and then spends most of the night socializing with friends down at the local pub, getting quite thoroughly wasted. Sharo is the sort who will stand up for what is right, should it fit into her immediate goals and/or whims. She can be of very short temper, has a very elevated opinion of her own abilities and importance, and she has been known to get indignant when she feels that she is not receiving her proper 'dues'. She tends to waffle at times from wanting to be helpful and "part of the team" to being very independent and "screw you all, I'm getting a drink". She tries not to let things upset her terribly, with some success on various levels.
Brief History: Sharo grew up in a city. Semdria, to be exact. Her parents are alive and well, doing other things. Both Crafters, to the best of her knowledge, and both leading rather decent lives. Sharo was contented to live a fairly simple life of working her days in Ye Olde Smithe and pining away her nights with the girls at The Harp, where she was a regular customer of the masseuse and bartender. This changed when she encountered a cabal of mages and, well, dropped in at the Welcome Center.
A brief and character revealing answer to the question, "What is your ambition?" (IC): "Eat, sleep, maybe settle down, maybe have an adventure. Who knows what the future holds? Shut up and live, I say."
Pretend I'm a Catchy Title! - Sharo's Intro Story