|TO:||THE NAPPING CAT DREAMERS|
|DATE:||MAY 11, 2006|
|RE:||THE DREAM RULES! ADDENDUM - BOARD-ACCEPTABLE ROLE-PLAY|
Dear Napping Cat Dreamers,
Due to concerns about differences between our definition of "PG-13" and that of the movie industry's, we have decided to adopt the term "Board-Acceptable" instead. This term identifies closer with the concept we are trying to convey, namely things that we consider acceptable for our forum, often called a board.
Of course, we'll also be giving you some general guidelines on what's acceptable. Please remember to keep the spirit of what's acceptable in mind, and not just the letters we write here:
- Violence Levels
- As Administrators, we know that violence in a combat-oriented thread is rather unavoidable. However, we ask that you do not post excessive violence. Excessive violence is a term left up to the Forum Moderator, but in general if you have not warned Players that it may happen (in sign-ups or a "[mature]" or "[violent]" tag in the title) graphic descriptions shouldn't be posted.
- Sexual versus Romantic RP
- While we do have a forum called FLIRT (as I am very much aware), and there are inevitably relationships that progress to the point where offspring (or the actions leading up to offspring) may be expected, open sexual conduct should remain out of the public eye at all times. "Heavy petting" and the like is also out, but general romantic moments (kissing, hugging, cuddling, etc.) are allowed. In this department, the tag "[mature]" allows for no additional lee-way, although it may still be an idea to warn people that you intend for things to be quite romantic or perhaps plan on making a discrete fade-to-black. Please keep any fade-to-black tasteful.
- Forced intimate encounters
- Our primary concern is for interactions leading up to, and we'll be blunt, rape. The actual posting of such an interaction should be obviously right-out, but the events leading up to such (ex: a kidnapping with that intent) are also out. For the record, we also consider magical compulsion (ex: a geas, love spell) to be the same. If the Avatar, under normal circumstances, wouldn't willingly engage in sexual activities, then we're going to call it rape. PG consent doesn't make this allowable, as technically you have to consent for just about anything on the board.
- Censored profanity, such as "*beep*", "[censored]", or similar variants are considered acceptable in posts, but we do ask that Player Gods keep it in check and ask themselves if it's necessary to their plotline. However, as our filters are not completely inclusive, we also ask that PGs take the time to review their own posts for profanity that we're not bothering to remove. While a small degree in IC conversation is acceptable, actual profanity either in descriptive narrative or OOC conversation is not.
cc: Modmail File